Seth,
What Dean says is pretty valid and is often talked of.  There has been more
success with putting distorted math equations into captcha images.

This is typically a first line of defense though.  It is recommended that
you monitor the data submitted through the forms and then filter the data
submission for scripting attacks and a black list of keywords.  The black
list approach can be very tedious and becomes adaptive over time.

Wordpress uses Akismet for spam protection and it works pretty well. (
http://akismet.com/)

Teddy