Seth, before you give up completely, you may want to think about what you're
trying to "protect" and whether things are dismaying as have been suggested.
:-)

For instance, I have made a case (in a blog entry below) that for some
things, a captcha is certainly better than nothing. I suggest regarding it
as a screen door. Sure, there are times when a double-key deadbolt lock is
what's needed, but not always. :-) The first entry was this:

Captchas: making them simpler, and dialing down the angst against them
http://carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2006/8/17/the_angst_against_captch
as

The second proposes how to simplify the captcha in Lyla captcha (mentioned
by Teddy in his link to maestropublishing), which is also used in BlogCFC
(and is a simple CFC component):

Simplifying the captcha graphic in Lyla Captcha (and BlogCFC)
http://carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2006/8/17/simplifying_lyla_in_blog
cfc

And later I offered a downloadable captcha.xml file that would be needed to
simplify the lyla captcha:

Want to simplify your Blogcfc (or other Lyla-based) captcha? Here's the XML
file.
http://carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2006/10/7/lyla_captcha_simplified_
xml_file

/Charlie