  From: Tom McNeer
  To: discussion@acfug.org
  Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:04 PM
  Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] CFEclipse question - default project

  Seth,

  I'm not sure how you can re-set the default workspace -- which is the default
space for saving projects. There's no obvious mechanism or documentation, and
this question has been asked in a number of forums. But it's simple enough,
when creating a project, to point it wherever you want. Eclipse will still keep
track of it, and keep it in the Navigator tab. I often create the project in a
space on my dev server, which is also the actual web space.

  I've been using Eclipse for probably a year and a half, and I still feel
overwhelmed sometimes. It's the nature of the plug-in architecture it's built
on. I just bang away, knowing there's all sorts of functionality I just don't
even know about.

  Jeff,

    Aside from the cost issue can anyone give me some input on the pros and
cons of Eclipse vs. DW/Homesite?

  I think they'll become pretty obvious as you continue to use Eclipse. It's
going to feel unfamiliar and clunky for a long, long time. But I think you'll
find it's worth the trouble.

  Homesite's dead, as far as Adobe's concerned. They "support" CFEclipse
(sorta) and obviously use Eclipse for FlexBuilder. Actually, that's one good
reason to get used to Eclipse. You'll probably want to start working with Flex,
too.

  And that illustrates why Eclipse is a good tool: folks can, and do,
constantly build new tools as plug-ins on top of it. You'll find yourself
adding Javascript editors and XML editors and database tools that you prefer.

  Mark Drew, the CFEclipse guy, has already released CF8 syntax libraries for
CFEclipse. And Adobe provides RDS plug-ins, if you've gotten used to them in
Homesite.

  If you need to build visually, you'll use Dreamweaver. If not, you'll use
Eclipse. I go back and forth all the time.

  And the more you separate presentation from the model, the more your
individual files are going to be either all code, or all display with a little
logic thrown in. So using both comes pretty naturally.

  There's a CFEclipse mailing list, by the way, although there's not a lot of
activity on it. But if you ask questions there, people will help. And you'll
find Eclipse-related conversations on CF-Talk, too.

  Good luck with it. You'll like it -- eventually.

  Tom

  Tom McNeer
  MediumCool
  http://www.mediumcool.com