To add, I suggest reading through the Eclipse tutorials, they speak to this
and other things pretty well.  As Teddy said, workspaces are pretty much
what the phrase evokes, a space to work in.  This  includes settings  and
such so you can have say personalized settings for one workspace and a
different set for another.  After you are working in Eclipse in a chosen
workspace, projects can be stored anywhere on your PC or network for that
matter.  Meta-data about the project is stored in the current workspace, but
the actual files can be anywhere.  For Flex, Java, or J2EE projects I always
keep the projects in my workspace.  For CF only projects, I keep the project
in the webroot.  But I never store a workspace in the webroot.

DK