First go get firebug for firefox... that will help you with the dom
navigation.
Firefox parentElement = parentNode

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Peyton Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello again from the CF5 programmer trying to catch up.
>
> I always used to write for Internet Explorer, and did so again after my
> return to programming a few months ago, resulting in what is by now a rather
> complex site. Many CF (and other internet-based) programmers have told me
> since then that I should have written for Firefox, and I now wish I had,
> because of it's debugging abilities. But...
>
> How easy will it be to convert my existing code to run on Firefox?
> Specifically, there are three functions I'm making heavy use of:
>
> 1. getElementById
> 2. parentElement
> 3. children[]
>
> According to my latest DOM book (O'Reilly, published 1998 - yes, I know I
> need a new one) none of these exists in Netscape (same as Firefox, right?).
> And sure enough I get error messages at least with the first one (I never
> get past there to the others). So my question is:
>
> What is the Firefox way to do each of them? (According to my O'Reilly
> book, document.all[] doesn't exist in Netscape, either.)
>
> One catch is: I would very much like to avoid giving unique names to
> everything, for two reasons:
>
> 1. There are lots and lots of them. This is a roll-my-own HIERARCHICAL
> grid of sorts with buttons to insert and delete new rows on both of two
> levels.
>
> 2. All my update code makes heavy use of the fact that, when items in a
> form have the same name (as they do in each successive row in my grid), CF
> sends up the values as a comma-delimited list of values which I then loop
> through.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Peyton

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer
http://blog.stevensross.com
[mobile] 404-488-4364 [fax] 267-482-4364
[ AIM / Yahoo! : zeriumsteven ] [googleTalk : nowhiding ]