caching would be at the webserver level with respect to this.  My guess is
the email gets sent prior to the new PDF being completed.  Emails are queued
and file saves involve file system work-time, so things get a bit
asynchronous.  Even with unique file naming schems, this can be a issue.
Try the unique naming approach, the possible error would involve the email
engine not being able to find the file when the email is to be sent.  If
this doesn't work reliably, I'd look at inline attachments.  This latter
approach would put the PDF in the email itself as a attachment wiht the
added bonus of not needing to be placed in the webroot.

Douglas Knudsen
http://www.cubicleman.com
this is my signature, like it?