On RIA Forge, I remember this project:

http://cfxl.riaforge.org/

modify or read data from existing spreadsheets. This project abstracts and
simplifies the POI API while still allowing you to get into the depths of
that API.

Support and other licenses available if needed.

This will make your Excel nightmares go away. :)

I have not tried it, but it has been updated recently and may remove some of
what you are trying to achieve.

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com