From: Charlie Arehart <char...@carehart.org>
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] Learning a ColdFusion Framework
To: discussion@acfug.org
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 10:39 PM

Uh, here it comes, the annual framework debate. :-) I’m only
joking, Clarke. It’s a reasonable question.

The good news is that you will indeed get opinions. You’ll just
have to sift through them. I think the problem with the discussion is that
there’s no one good answer. As with so many things, it depends: on yourself,
fellow developers (and indeed if there are any), what you do and don’t know
about frameworks and patterns in general, how much you’ll be able to reuse the
framework (and the knowledge gained getting comfortable), how much time you
have, how much you want to be able (or may have to) to contribute to it, and so
many other attributes.

Besides the big 4 (mach ii, model-glue, fusebox, and coldbox),
there are indeed many more. Another that may suit you getting started is
cfwheels.
I list all the CFML frameworks (that I’ve found) at my CF411 site:

http://www.cf411.com/#cffw

(Actually, I break it into 3 categories: Application, injection,
and ORM frameworks.)

I’ll note that we’ve had talks on ColdBox on the meetup before.
Check out all past recordings at recordings.coldfusionmeetup.com.

There was also an issue of the FusionAuthority Quarterly Update
that tried to review the top frameworks (Vol II Issue II, Fall 2006), which
while
a bit dated may still be helpful. There was also an effort some years ago at
trying to create a repository of one example app built in many frameworks:
http://www.cfpetmarket.com/. It didn’t
really take off, but it’s worth considering in your evaluation effort.

Let’s see what others say in general.

/charlie