Jeff,
It depends on how you want to display the information.  The basic
functionality of typing in and filtering is a combination of "autosuggest"
and then an output rendering.  Have you tried the AJAX tutorials by Ben
Forta?

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/5/31/ColdFusion-Ajax-Tutorial-1-AutoSuggest

Now, if you are trying to display this information in grid (dynamic table).
This is a combination of using cfgrid and dynamic filtering.  Dan Vega has
some good blog posts about using cfgrid.

http://www.danvega.org/blog/

Teddy R. Payne, ACCFD
Google Talk - teddyrpa...@gmail.com