I don't have an answer for you but if you find it I would like to know as
well.

I have used some AJAX/Jquery datagrids that can filter on multiple options,
but not as you type.
Of course this is very simple in Flex/Flash to do with filtering as you type
but the concept is the same load the entire model so filtering can be done
as you type.

You would obviously have to load the entire dataset to achieve this or you
would just be doing a parameter query call.
It should be possible though with jquery, again sorry I don't have a good
answer though

You might want to research jquery and see if the filtering as you type
functionality already exists.
A change event as you type would trigger it.
RL