Donna,

It sounds like you might be able to use one of the rare SQL statements Oracle has just for this type of situation. Use a search to find "CONNECT BY PRIOR," "START WITH," and "ORDER SIBLINGS BY." These are all hierarchy commands and are good for making organization charts and various other parent - child relationships within the same table.

We use them where I work. They are not optimized as much as more mainstream SQL commands, but they should be better than a self join.

Hope it helps...
Frank