Hey Frank, at least with respect to the aspect of your jump including going
"through"
CF8, this blog entry from Josh points to several resource for those moving to
it:

http://blog.joshuaadams.com/index.cfm/2008/9/4/Upgrading-from-ColdFusion-MX-to-ColdFus
ion-8

Granted, I know you want info on 9. I'm not aware of any that have been done,
though
perhaps there have been.

One place to look, at least to get more info on what's changed, is a list of CF9
tutorial resources gathered up (from many people) by blogger Akbarsait:

http://www.akbarsait.com/cf9tutorials.cfm

Going back to the move to CF8, one of the resources Josh points to is a blog
entry of
mine which may also interest you:

http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2009/8/10/cf8_migration_resources

I'll say as well that certainly your move from 5 to 7 was huge, on two counts:
CF6 had
been a major rewrite of CF onto Java, and 7 added quite a lot.

The move from 7 to 9 should be less challenging. It seems that there's been
even more
focus in recent releases to try to do no harm to existing apps, but of course
there's
always something that can have changed that might affect one user more than
most, so
testing is always vital.

Finally, as Josh points out in his entry, don't forget the available Code
Compatibility Checker that's built into the CF Administrator and has been for
years.
Of course, it's upgraded each release. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Hope that helps.

/charlie