From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Frank Moorman
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 8:00 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] CMS Preferences

Charlie,

As for autoplay and XSS attacks...
Usually autoplay is through javascript on the same domain. When you whitelist a
domain, autoplay will usually start again.

The way noscript's whitelist works is based on the source domain of the script,
not
the website domain. This allows a sites custom js to work, but it will stop
other
sites like intellitxt or ad-tracking sites. This will stop XSS listed on a
different
host, but it will not help you if the entire server is compromised and
malicious js is
on the same server.

This can cause a problem if a site uses third party javascript framework and
does not
host a copy of the framework locally. But this generally is not a good idea and
most
sites don't do this anyway. If they do, noscript does have an option to "allow
all
scripts on this page."

In addition, noscript has a setting to temporary allow a domain which will let
you
"test" settings until the end of your browser setting.

Generally, I got started with noscript for two reasons...
    1) I believe in a site getting revenue through ads, so I do not use
adblock, but I
do not want my movement across the web tracked.
    2) I occasionally have to deal with certain hotel wifi systems that used
javascript to inject advertising iframes. Needless to say, I am not happy (or
trusting) when this happens.