Matthew, as for that original approach you found, it likely stemmed from
primordial days when CFERROR could NOT point to a CFM page that did things
like CFMAIL. I could only point either to an HTML page or a CFML page with
very limited functionality (it could output variables to the screen and
nothing more). That may be why you saw folks doing what they did in that
older code.

As of CF4, CFERROR had a new type="exception" (as against that older
type="request") which could now point to any regular CFM file doing any
normal CFML processing.

If you missed it in your thread last week about error handling, I had
pointed to a series of articles I'd done on the topic, and it covered that
above, and lots more, which may really be worth your spending a half hour
digesting so that you better understand the landscape of CF error handling.
Again, part 1 is here (and the page lists the other parts as well):

http://www.carehart.org/articles/#2000_10

Hope that helps.

/charlie