On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Ajas Mohammed <ajash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great information Cameron.
>
> I dont mean to digress but is it possible that lets say 2 CF servers are
> load balanced and server 1 is processing 25 requests, can the load balancer
> be smart to send next incoming requests to server 2 instead of busy server
> 1? Do Load balancers have some kind of setting to do that. I think the one
> we use is Round Robin, wherein request can go to either servers. I always
> wondered if could change that based of load.

It really depends on the load balancer.  Some measure response time or
open connections to determine load.  Since all the connections go
through the load balancer it will know how many requests are currently
running on each node.  If may not know CPU or memory levels, or wether
those requests are CF or Image requests (which is a good reason to
more static files to another spot, like Amazon's cloud storage).

There will sometimes also be a "health check" url that the load
balancer pings on each server.  This URL might just be a basic CF page
or it may do a SQL call.  Beware though because these "health checks"
can pile up and crash your CF servers if they aren't managed properly.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc