Ed, I'll just note that another possible explanation could be misapplication
of hotfixes. Do you recall if you did any (individual, cumulative, or
security) since the 9.0.1 update? It's very easy to make mistakes with the
newer hotfixes, since they involve extracting parts of zips into new
locations (compared to past hotfixes which just involved uploading a jar to
the updates directory). I've seen more than a few instances where the
extracted files either ended up in the wrong directory, or unexpectedly in a
subdirectory of where they were intended to be put, and so on.

Since you say the problem happens only on a patched CF server, it certainly
raises that specter. Hope that's helpful.

/charlie

PS If you would have any challenges trying to sort out what was done and
whether there are any such mistakes, I can help, per my role as an
independent CF troubleshooting consultant. More at
www.carehart.org/consulting/. But I happily offer the info above to point
you in the right direction if you prefer to try on your own. :-)

<snip>