From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Forrest C Gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:42 AM
To: ACFUG Discussion
Subject: [ACFUG Discuss] Update Query Problem

I have a problem which seems like it should have a simple answer, but I
cannot seem to find it!

I have a Coldfusion datasource using a MS Access table with a field
named Institution that can have multiple values. I need to replace some
of the values in this field with new values. For example, everywhere the
Value A occurs, I want to replace it with ABC, so that if Institution =
'A', it will become 'ABC', and if Institute= 'A, G' it will become 'ABC, G'.

I am able to use the ColdFusion Replace function to create a new string
containing the proper replacement value, but I cannot seem to replace
the records from the database with this new string. I've tried CFUpdate
as well as the SQL Update, but neither seems to work.

Using CFQuery, I pull the ID and Institution values from the records I
want to update from the database. Inside a CFOutput loop based on the
query, I then use Replace to compute the NewString that will replace the
old value of Institution. But CFSet will not cause Institution to take
on this new value, so CFUpdate does not work, and if I try to use the
standatd SQL Update statement inside a CFQuery, it throws a syntax error.

What am I missing here?

Forrest C. Gilmore