Thanks, Troy and Frank. Both of you were right on; very helpful suggestions!

Forrest
==================
On 7/5/2011 2:10 AM, Frank Moorman wrote:
Even better, don't forget to use<cfqueryparam>...

<cfquery name="insQuery" datasource="myDSN">
UPDATE tableName
SET institution =<cfqueryparam value="#newVarName#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR">
</cfquery>

It means typing more, but it provides safety against SQL injection attacks. You
should always use it just for this reason alone.

In addition, with most databases, using<CFQUERYPARAM>  creates a "Prepared SQL"
which caches the execution plan (on the db side.) This allows for better
performance when using the same SQL multiple times.

Note: you need to change the cfsqltype as appropriate. You will no longer need
single tic-marks around strings with cfqueryparam. All variable data should use
cfqueryparam; but constants within the sql statement may perform quicker without
it.