from the docs for CF8:

Server-side ActionScript lets your ActionScript engineers use their
knowledge of ActionScript to write code for the back end of their Flash
applications, which can mean more meaningful levels of interactivity for
your users. Your Flash applications can share a library of server-side
ActionScript functions, which means you can define functions that are
specifically tailored to your own business.

You could, for example, create a server-side ActionScript file that defines
a whole library of SQL query methods. With these query methods defined on
the server side, your Flash designers only have to invoke the specific query
function they want to return data to their Flash movies. They do not have to
write any SQL, and they do not have to create a new query every time they
need to retrieve data from a ColdFusion data source. It is a way of creating
reusable queries that your entire Flash design team can use.