I will try to answer with my limited knowledge of DW usage of SVN. First of
all, what version of DW you & your colleagues are using, CS6?

The latest versions have some built in functionality for version control
but in earlier versions, you would have to buy external plugin for SVN
stuff.

Do these branching commands exist through the Dreamweaver interface?
Perhaps in latest versions, I dont know.
http://superuser.com/questions/227721/does-dreamweaver-subversion-support-branching

If they use an external utility to switch branches will Dreamweaver
recognize it? (I ask because Dreamweaver requires you to specify the
directory on their config screen.)
I found these 2 links
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/using_subversion_pt2.htmland
http://superuser.com/questions/227721/does-dreamweaver-subversion-support-branching

Last, currently dreamweaver is reporting svn version 1.6.9. Is there an
easy way to up it to 1.7? (it is the dreamweaver from CS6)
I think you would have to upgrade your repository to latest version first,
so in your case you would upgrade the subversion repository to 1.7 and then
worry about the client.

<Ajas Mohammed />
iUseDropbox(http://db.tt/63Lvone9)
http://ajashadi.blogspot.com
We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.
No matter what, find a way. Because thats what winners do.
You can't improve what you don't measure.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention,
sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents
the wise choice of many alternatives.