 From: troy <t...@thirdwavedigital.com>
To: "discussion@acfug.org" <discussion@acfug.org>; Chris <h_chris...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 9:56 AM
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] Using caching and threading to load a page quickly

Chris,

I recently did a similar project (albeit not with Wordpress) where I imported a
XML feed from another website into a ColdFusion powered site. What I found out,
at least for the project I was doing, was that writing the file to my machine
and using that for my output was significantly more manageable than trying to
manage cache. This was especially true when having to debug something that came
from the imported data. While I’m sure that Wordpress’s RSS feed is stable, the
main thing is that you’re getting content from a source that you do not have
direct control over and this can create some issues outside of what you’re
already experiencing.

I think your idea is solid, I’d just simply think about writing the import to a
file for use by your application. I do have one other small recommendation. If
you are planning to update every two minutes, I’d recommend setting the timeout
on your <cffeed> to something below 120 (ideally below 100) as it seems to me
that you could be creating collision or recursion with the current value of 180.

Just my two cents.

Thank you,

Troy Jones
Technical Manager