Hi All,

I have a main index page which is in ColdFusion which gets a RSS feed from
another website(Newswebsite which is a WordPress 3.9.2 website running on
shared hosting). The Newswebsite is on shared hosting so takes about 7 seconds
to load(a little slow, I know, but the decision to go with a shared hosting was
done to save on costs by the purchasing people).

Now, people don't want the main index page to take 7 seconds to load. I
estimate using caching of the RSS feed so that updates are retrieved from the
feed only every 2 minutes and having a thread so that the main index page
loads(in 2 seconds or less) without waiting for the RSS feed can alleviate the
issue. The threadwhich fetches the data from RSS feed can display the feeds on
the main index page after the data is retrieved.

1. If the idea is on the right track, would something like the below work?

The full implementation is at http://collabedit.com/dgraj/history

<!--- Caching the RSS feed from newssite so that it is checked every 2 minutes
only--->

<!--- Start a thread and wait for it to read the RSS feed from newssite --->

<!--- Wait for the thread for 7 seconds--->

<!--- Check if there are any entries from RSS feed of newswebsite and display
the feed information on main index page if it was obtained in 7 seconds --->

2. Are there other better ways to tackle the issue?

I want the other parts of the main index page which is in ColdFusion to load
quickly and not get delayed because getting data from the RSS feed of news
website takes 7 seconds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I used ColdFusion code and Yahoo e-mail did not allow me to send it. I
heard Yahoo Mail flags messages containing code as spam so does not allow such
messages. So, just had to explain it in text and provide a link to Collabedit.