First, my thanks to everyone for the help so far...
Your answers have shown me that attempts to suppress the location bar in HTML
windows, even when feasible, are swimming upstream against a strong current, so
are best avoided.
The 'brainjar' code suggested by sharrison (Steve? Sam?) works beautifully!
Just about all I had to do was download the GIF images for the window buttons,
and put a <video> tag containing one of my videos inside the 'client area' of
one of the windows. If you'd like to see it, download the folder at the Dropbox
link below and run vindemo.html. Then click on Window 1, which is where I put
my <video> tag.
Vindemo

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| VindemoShared with Dropbox |
|  |
| View on www.dropbox.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Getting all my little icons and descriptions to take the place of the existing
"Window 1 - Window 2 - Window 3" interface may be a fairly big job, though,
since they vary a lot in which icons and how many, and in various font changes
within the descriptions. So I'll be looking into ways to streamline it.
I'll also look into "dialogs" as an alternative.
On balance, though, although I like the look of this HTML+Javascript interface
much better than the one using PDFs (which overwrites my sub-titles among other
problems), I have hundreds of these little documents to prepare, and if I
cannot streamline the process just mentioned, I may have to go with the PDF
approach after all, since it will combine the WYSIWYG capabilities of Microsoft
Word and Adobe Acrobat to make each one go much quicker.
So I'll be looking into the 'security hole' issue I described earlier. As to
that, Dawn, the problem is not so much with Acrobat itself as with Acrobat
Reader, since that's what would play the media for end users. Adobe has already
pulled the rug out from under me once due to security considerations (the
dangers of legacy media). It's not that I need the media to be file-type
agnostic for its own sake, but rather that the strange restriction of choices
presented by the Sound Tool vs. Button interfaces are a red flag suggesting
that the current capacities my not last forever. To repeat: even though PDFs
will be around forever, that doesn't mean that what Adobe permits one to do
with them will be - as my earlier experience has painfully showed me!
I'll let you know how it works out.
Peyton