On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Shad L. Lords wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> > Because Shad is very busy, and also because he prefers instant messaging
> > and Skype, and I choose not to use those media, it's hard to get his
> > attention to discuss development processes via email. I strike while the
> > iron is hot.
>
> And I appreciate it when we engage in these discussions.  It opens things
> up and helps clarify things on both sides I think.
> This isn't point scoring.  This is how developers communicate :-)

I know, but I was trying to explain to John.

> Lets look at the risks of rebuilding the installer.  Parts have to be run
> as root.

Only if you do a full installer rebuild, the way that RH/Fedora do. We
don't need to do that, since we are changing only very limited parts of
the install image. We don't need to re-do what CentOS has done to assemble
all the files included in the .img files from a large collection of rpms -
we just need to replace a few files, mostly from anaconda.

> There is only one part of the build process that is run as sudo.  This is
> the /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall script.

... which is, and always has been, horrible.

> If you see a place where things can be made tighter or a place that was
> missed in protecting things please let me know and I (we) can look at
> making the ISO/installer build process more secure.

If you are prepared to re-engineer the process, it can be run as non-root,
without sudo. unsquashfs, cpio, mksquashfs and cp in a shell script is
pretty much all it takes.

Let's take details off-line or into bugzilla if you think its worth
changing. As indicated, I don't believe that you can fully secure
anaconda buildinstall.

---
Charlie