On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:23:29 -0500, RB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > As things stand, devices on separate ports are capable of communicating
>> > with each other, but the traffic is unseen on fxp0.
>> Well, this is the normal behaviour of a switch...
>
>Agreed - I was just more hoping it was implemented as a bridge instead
>of as a simple port on the switch.  The last OS on the system had
>port-level control over the switch, so there's got to be some control
>channel, be it out-of-band over the link, a PCI ioctl, or something.
>Guess I'll install Linux on it (my comfort zone) and poke around.
>Still open for suggestions, though.

The 5 port embedded switch is completely separate from the 82559ER and is
probably linked without ethernet level conversion.  Usually there are a small
number of I/O lines or a serial interface for control.

You can probably get the IC part number for the switch by visual inspection and
possibly a data sheet through Google.  The controllers I am familiar with even
have configurable limited VLAN support.

The Realtek RTL8305SC is typical:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=20&PFid=20&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=31