Just to add/restate some of the things said in this conversation.
FreeBSD 6.2 (which pfSense is based on) cannot run under Xen - while
it may be possible to run it with hardware virtualization under Xen,
I'd recommend against it at this time.  It does however run perfectly
fine on both VMWare Server and VMWare ESX Server.  MS Virtual server
has been shown to have some issues (something about the virtual
hardware it emulates...or doesn't...that FreeBSD barfs on).  Bottom
line is if you want to run pfSense as a guest in VMWare, it'll work
fine, use bridged interfaces and don't assign an IP to the host (or at
least not on the external interface) and let the virtualized pfSense
handle the traffic.  You can even have an entire virtual DMZ then
*shudder*.  Have fun.

--Bill