From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chris Buechler
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:55 AM
To: discussion@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense-discussion] hardware

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:44 AM, Mark Dueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Throughput will be minimal.  From 512Kbps to 2Mbps max.  I guess my
biggest
> concern is stability.  I have lab tested the Soekris 4801 with openVPN
> have throughput of up to 3MB/s, so it should be fine for these
locations,
> but I'm just a little unsure of a 'business critical' decision and
wanted
> some input.

I would probably go with ALIX hardware for such a deployment. I get
the ALIX hardware I use from netgate.com and would recommend them.
That'll push about 75 Mb of throughput, and about 10-12 Mb of VPN
traffic based on numbers I have heard from others. I haven't had a
chance to test max throughput on any of mine yet, they're definitely
more than adequate for what you're looking to do and give you a good
deal of scalability for the future.