/etc/rc.initial, line 114 (on my build, anyway).  For whatever reason,
choosing option 8 invokes tcsh(1) directly.  Presumably you could change
this, but I don't know what else this could break... *probably* nothing
except future updates, or more likely you'd have to re-change the file
after every update.

Alternatively, you might try changing the login shell for *admin*, not
root.  I believe that having multiple users with the same UID but
different login shells officially results in "undefined" behaviour, but
obviously it works with /etc/passwd under FreeBSD.  I can't tell if this
was the original intent (does this qualify as "Stupid passwd(5) Tricks" à
la Letterman?) or not, but there's root, toor, and admin, all with UID 0.
Obviously the last one in the file wins.

It appears that "root" is logged in automatically (well, sort of... "root"
logs in but "admin"'s data is used for getpwent(3) calls, whatever...) by
adding "al=root" to the terminal definition in (iirc) /etc/gettytab.

This whole setup appears to be... not "fragile", exactly, more like "no
user-serviceable parts inside".  Pending one of the devs chiming in, I'd
guess editing /etc/rc.initial is the least likely option to break
anything.

And yeah, having tcsh as the default shell is annoying, but really - why
are you spending so much time at the CLI on your *firewall* that you feel
you have to change it?

FWIW, I'm looking at the installable version, not the embedded version, so
YMMV.

-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net