Hi Adam,

first thanks for your long and comprehensive answer. Sorry for not providing
this information in the first place as I did not think it makes any difference
but I'm using the embedded version with NanoBSD.

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 01:16:09AM -0600, Adam Thompson wrote:
> /etc/rc.initial, line 114 (on my build, anyway).  For whatever reason,
> choosing option 8 invokes tcsh(1) directly.

I guess this was meant as method to fix things deep inside?

> Presumably you could change
> this, but I don't know what else this could break... *probably* nothing
> except future updates, or more likely you'd have to re-change the file
> after every update.

Yes I already made such experiences...

> Alternatively, you might try changing the login shell for *admin*, not
> root.

Hmmmm

> I believe that having multiple users with the same UID but
> different login shells officially results in "undefined" behaviour, but
> obviously it works with /etc/passwd under FreeBSD.  I can't tell if this
> was the original intent (does this qualify as "Stupid passwd(5) Tricks" à
> la Letterman?) or not, but there's root, toor, and admin, all with UID 0.
> Obviously the last one in the file wins.

That does not really explain the behaviour I experienced yet: As admin has
/etc/rc.initial as it's login shell vs root with /bin/sh, I looked at how
/etc/rc.initial get involved for root. This is done via /root/.profile which
in case of an interactive shell starts /etc/rc.initial. Renaming /root/.profile
to /root/.profile_ORIG resulted in root logging in into a /bin/sh environment.
I could "fix" this by adding a /bin/tcsh to /root/.profile but as this means
changes to the image I was somewhat reluctant to start walking this way...

> It appears that "root" is logged in automatically (well, sort of... "root"
> logs in but "admin"'s data is used for getpwent(3) calls, whatever...) by
> adding "al=root" to the terminal definition in (iirc) /etc/gettytab.

But that would circumvent the usage of admin somehow ;-).

> This whole setup appears to be... not "fragile", exactly, more like "no
> user-serviceable parts inside".

Yes seems so...

> Pending one of the devs chiming in, I'd
> guess editing /etc/rc.initial is the least likely option to break
> anything.

Well after my tries I somehow get the idea that /etc/passwd gets replaced on
every reboot... maybe any of the developers can comment on this?

> And yeah, having tcsh as the default shell is annoying,

Not really, back in 2000 I used to work with tcsh often enough to appreciate
it's features and as no /bin/bash is available it's a solid alternative.

> but really - why
> are you spending so much time at the CLI on your *firewall* that you feel
> you have to change it?

Because my company is planning to replace our current monowalls with some other
solution and we are trying to make this as efficient as possible...

> FWIW, I'm looking at the installable version, not the embedded version, so
> YMMV.

Hmmm I'm not familiar enough with *BSD to comment on the differences but thanks
for your help.

> -Adam Thompson
>  athom...@athompso.net

Kind regards