Hi all!

First of all let me apologise for putting a half-arsed web site on
www.iglu.org.il. Now I still want to transform it into a representative news-
site/blog in English for the Israeli FOSS community (of which I'm not aware of
any, except personal ones ). This would mean that several people will have to
cooperate on it, given posting privileges, etc.

I think something like WordPress or Movable Type (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_Type ) would be good enough, but
something fancier like Drupal may be better. It probably needs to be in the
Debian repositories for easy management, but I'm not an admin.

So what are our options: (let the bike shed colour war begin)

1. WordPress - lots and lots of security holes, too basic functionality by
default; requires a bootload of plugins to convert into a usable state which
many bloggers won't install; and has lots of bugs - it already ate some of my
comments and refused to let me post them again, and the blog owners did not
know what to do about it.

I think I'll pass.

2. Movable Type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_Type - open source and
GPLed and written in more secure Perl than WordPress' PHP. Historically was a
blog system of choice for small-time bloggers and WordPress gained ground due
to the fact that MT was not free at first.

Has fewer usable skins than WordPress, but one can always hack a WordPress
skin into shape or customise an existing skin.

When I tried it, it left many world-writable (777 permed) files on my hard-
drive, but there may be some way to avoid it.

3. Joomla - Drupal is considered better.

4. Drupal - may be an overkill here, does not maintain backwards compatibility
between major versions (and only has minor versions for bug-fixes), and many
important plugins do not work with the newest versions.

5. Naturally, there are many others:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

* http://cms.wikia.com/ (my link)

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weblog_software

And some other people and I started our own, which is not really ready for
prime time, yet:

https://www.ohloh.net/p/catable

Anyway, if you can think of something better, please let me know. That or have
any comments to the above.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish