I have used both svn and git extensively and the more I use git, the more I
understand (though I still think he exaggerated) what Linus Torvalds meant
in his (in)famous git talk at Google:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

where he said:

"Subversion has been the most pointless project ever started... Subversion
used to say, 'CVS done right.' With that slogan there is nowhere you can go.
There is no way to do CVS right."

The advantages of git (and Mercurial) is that you can commit locally and you
can merge back and forth between various repositories. There is no central
server, which also means that you have less to worry about backing up the
central server, because you have identical copies of he repositories spread
out.

I don't think that git is more difficult than svn for the user if you
restrict yourself to: add, commit, push, and pull. (Or just teach them to do
"commit -a" and you can forget about "add"). Resolving conflicts branches,
and rebasing, is another story though. But you won't need them.

Regards,
Dov