On 11/07/11 19:06, E L wrote:
> So not only decided to ban Israeli academy. But he also banned
> Jewish Israelis and is going to give both lectures for Palestinians?
>
> Now it's not even political anymore, just plain antisemitic decision
> on his side.
> I think hamakor should send a protest letter to the FSF.
Please, let's all calm down and not blow this out of proportions.

The Palestinian boycott, with which RMS decided (wrongfully, IMO) to
abide, demands that any Israeli institutes that someone speaks at during
the same tour as speaking in Palestinian ones not only are not academic
themselves, but actively declare their support for the Palestinian
boycott. Yes, this is an anti-free speech demand, but since the original
boycott is already the worst kind of anti-free speech, I can't say how
this worse.

Once that demand was made, RMS's only option (aside from refusing the
trip, which, right though it would be, he already chose not to) is to
only go with Israeli institutes that declare their support for the
academic boycott. I don't know whether the Haifa one did, but the one in
Jaffa did (http://room404.net/?p=42969). I can assume the Haifa one made
a similar statement. For obvious reasons, few mainly Jewish
organizations would make such a statement.

So, not antisemitism. Just stupidity. willful ignorance and lack of
consistent principles. Since these are the same stupidity, willful
ignorance and lack of consistent principles that were already discussed
to death, here and elsewhere, I suggest we avoid going (this time
around) and leave it at that.

Shachar

> Ban RMS EULA!
>
> Ely