I do think that obfuscating code using base64 encoding is against the
GPL.

GPL requires that source code for software be available.
Source code is whatever form is easiest to edit and modify.

According to this definition, base64 encoded code is not source code.
I suppose that the theme in question was not made available in
non-obfuscated format (i.e. with decodings for all base64 encoded
stuff), hence the GPL violation.

--- Omer

--
More proof the End of the World has started. Just saw this online:
I think it's beginning! Ten minutes ago there was a group of people

I may be affiliated in any way.