Hi all,

[ I am going to write this message in English because it is easier for me to
express myself in such Technical matters in it. Feel free to reply in Hebrew. ]

Well, I've taken a look at both Ikiwiki and Jekyll for two projects:

1. Ikiwiki for the Freenode's ##programming channel FAQ:

* http://code.wikia.com/wiki/User:Shlomif/Freenode_programming_channel_FAQ
(present location - requires loggging in to get rid of the intrusive ads, which
is why we want to switch to something else).

* https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ - new source

2. Jekyll for http://vim.begin-site.org/ - the Vim Beginner's Site (some links
are broken and the content is incomplete but feel free to link to the existing
resources).

-----------

Installing Ikiwiki involved chasing some CPAN dependencies, which was not as
straightforward because I'm a Mageia Linux packager and am committed to
packaging them as Mageia .rpms, but it was doable based on the perl-Ikiwiki rpm
from Fedora. (Should be easier if your distribution already packaged it or if
you just use cpan/cpanm/CPANPLUS).

Installing Jekyll was more straightforward because I defaulted to use "sudo gem
install jekyll" (and then some missing dependencies).

Now the problem I had with Ikiwiki proved to be an errorprone process for me. I
eventually was able to get it working, but it took a while. Jekyll on the other
hand just worked and is also pretty fast (at least here on my Core i3 machine).
Jekyll is also cool, simple and straightforward and has better support for
complex templates.

While the new ##programming FAQ will be kept in Ikiwiki for now, I think I'll go
with Jekyll for www.linux.org.il. The main advantage Ikiwiki has over Jekyll is
a server-side web interface, so if it's a deal breaker for anyone, please
shout.

So I think I’ll start converting http://www.linux.org.il/ to Jekyll barring any
objections. I'm CCing Amichai here, because I would like to tutor him in the
new CMS (Jekyll) instead of the ad-hoc existing one.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish