Hi Amir,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 03:49:59 +0300
Amir Eldor <amir.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Shlomi and CC'ed list,
>
> We have started playing around with IkiWiki on one of our servers. As I see
> it, there's a drawback of tough installation and possibly annoying
> maintenance. Not sure if I will have enough time to deal with bugs or
> problems in a timely manner if we are not to use HaMakor's funds for paid
> IkiWiki services. The good things about IkiWiki is the ability to edit the
> wiki online and its plugin system (although I'm not sure what plugins we
> need).
>
> The alternative is to not shoot myself in the leg by using a Perl system
> for the job (although Shlomi likes Perl) and use a different solution
> instead. Two possibles are either making a small compiler-script that
> converts Markdown/whatever to HTML and version it with git/whatever. This
> is pretty close to using the second alternative which is something like the
> Ruby based like "serve <http://get-serve.com/>". The +'s, easier to
> administer than IkiWiki. The -'s, no online editing. The ?'s - do we want

If there is not going to be an online editing, then I don't see the advantage
of that, because there are plenty of static site generators (or "offline
CMSes") that I can use or hack myself, and the only reason Ikiwiki is
preferable over them is because it gives you online editing. And I can always
use a local instance of Ikiwiki for that.

> Wiki-like editing on Linux.org.il? or can we settle down with having the
> sources on GitHub/BItBucket and accepting pull-requests instead of wiki
> edits?

This already exists to an extent:

https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/linux.org.il-new-site

> Would like to hear your input,
>   Amir

Well, since the Hamakor board is not willing to pay for the Ikiwiki service, I
don't see what our alternatives are. I think it's a symptom of the general
unhealthy Israeli obsession of not being a "frayer" (or "sucker") where
many Israelis are not willing to pay extra money to save time, frustrations,
enjoy themselves, or even for helping their neighbour. See:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/gpl-bsd-and-suckerism/

Many Americans tend to have an unnatural obsession with not being "losers",
which is even worse, see:
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/putting-all-cards-on-the-table-2013/#the_technion_and_loser
( short URL - http://xrl.us/botq5z ), but I still think it's high time
Israelis realise that it's OK to be a "frayer", and spend a little money on
people and causes you care about, because it brings you joy, and especially if
you pay to save time, which is far more precious than money.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish