Edward, if you are in the Sharon area (Raanana specifically) we can meet at
our offices (Red Hat) and we can probably assist in installing Debian.
Never installed Debian before - will be happy to see how it works, and we
have some Debian people around.
Perhaps there's an option to install from the live CD (
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/) to the disk? That sounds like a better
option, as the first thing you'd want to do is boot your laptop into
Debian, to see all devices work.
Y.