Hi,

I just started using displaytag and this mailing list.  I'm getting a massive
headache trying to get External paging/sorting working.  It seems to make sense
in the documentation, but I'm getting the following error from my jsp page:
Caused by: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: You must specify one of the
following: size        at
org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.initParameters(TableTag.java:966)        at
org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.doStartTag(TableTag.java:722)        at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.txsearch_jsp._jspService(txsearch_jsp.java:620)

I am specifying that parameter, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.  (This was
working fine before I tried to use external paging with partial lists) Here is
my table tag on the offending line of jsp code:
 <display:table name="results.list" id="txResults" sort="external"
defaultsort="1" export="true" pagesize="5" requestURI="" partialList="true"
size="7">

I've tried many different things including different expressions for size, and
as in this example, just hard coding the correct value also changing the order
of the attributes.

I've also looked at the source code and the mailing list archives without
solving the problem.  This dead thread seems to show the same unresolved issue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/displaytag-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05950.html

The author of that thread gave up :-(  to implement it themselves.

The line of code in the displaytag source where it is failing is
org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.initParameters(TableTag.java:966)

I've copied that line and the surrounding code below but I can't figure out
anything from it.

Please help me or I fear I will suffer the same fate as the previous poster and
have to abandon use of displaytag entirely.

- Peter

------------------------------------

        // if we are doing partialLists then ensure we have our *) object
 if (this.partialList)        {            if ((this.sizeObjectName == null) &&
(this.size == null))            {                // ?            }
if (this.sizeObjectName != null)            {                // retrieve the
object from scope                this.size =
evaluateExpression(this.sizeObjectName);            }            if (size ==
null)            {                throw new
JspTagException(Messages.getString("MissingAttributeException.msg", new
Object[]{"size"}));   // THIS IS WHERE THE EXCEPTION COMES FROM!!!            }
           else if (!(size instanceof Integer))            {
throw new JspTagException(Messages.getString(
"InvalidTypeException.msg",                    new Object[]{"size",
"Integer"}));            }        }