From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Peter Rumstle
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:54 PM
To: displaytag-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [displaytag-user] partial lists

Hi,

I just started using displaytag and this mailing list.  I'm getting a
massive headache trying to get External paging/sorting working.  It
seems to make sense in the documentation, but I'm getting the following
error from my jsp page:

Caused by: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: You must specify one of
the following: size
        at
org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.initParameters(TableTag.java:966)
        at org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.doStartTag(TableTag.java:722)
        at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.txsearch_jsp._jspService(txsearch_jsp.jav
a:620)

I am specifying that parameter, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.
(This was working fine before I tried to use external paging with
partial lists) Here is my table tag on the offending line of jsp code:

 <display:table name="results.list" id="txResults" sort="external"
defaultsort="1" export="true" pagesize="5" requestURI=""
partialList="true" size="7">

I've tried many different things including different expressions for
size, and as in this example, just hard coding the correct value also
changing the order of the attributes.

I've also looked at the source code and the mailing list archives
without solving the problem.  This dead thread seems to show the same
unresolved issue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/displaytag-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg059
50.html

The author of that thread gave up :-(  to implement it themselves.

The line of code in the displaytag source where it is failing is
org.displaytag.tags.TableTag.initParameters(TableTag.java:966)

I've copied that line and the surrounding code below but I can't figure
out anything from it.

Please help me or I fear I will suffer the same fate as the previous
poster and have to abandon use of displaytag entirely.

- Peter

------------------------------------

        // if we are doing partialLists then ensure we have our *)
object
        if (this.partialList)
        {
            if ((this.sizeObjectName == null) && (this.size == null))
            {
                // ?
            }
            if (this.sizeObjectName != null)
            {
                // retrieve the object from scope
                this.size = evaluateExpression(this.sizeObjectName);
            }
            if (size == null)
            {
                throw new
JspTagException(Messages.getString("MissingAttributeException.msg", new
Object[]{"size"}));   // THIS IS WHERE THE EXCEPTION COMES FROM!!!
            }
            else if (!(size instanceof Integer))
            {
                throw new JspTagException(Messages.getString(
                    "InvalidTypeException.msg",
                    new Object[]{"size", "Integer"}));
            }
        }

Discover a magical Christmas destination. Visit asksanta.ca today!
<http://asksanta.ca/?icid=SANTAENCA005>

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of
received this communication in error, please notify the Sender
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.