Martin Pool wrote:
If he's running distccmon-text then he is attempting to make use of
them.

gah, I missed that.

...  But a similar technique is used for
lock files, which are not optional.  If your filesystem is flaking
out, there may be more problems than just the monitor failing.  (In
fact, there have been one or two previous reports of build failures
caused by NFS problems.)

OK, so even if he disabled the monitor file writing, he might have trouble.

You can probably work around this by setting DISTCC_DIR to some
directory on a local hard drive that you have write permission to.

That might be a good idea.  tmpfs (or whatever it's called on Solaris)
might work too.
Let's work out what is really wrong.

OK, the report was

However, when I have multiple builds going at the same time, using the same set of servers, I get one of the following three messages.

distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS file handle
or
distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number:
/home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563

Perhaps he's running distccmon on a different machine than the distcc client, and accessing ~/.distcc via nfs? http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=netappCJyvKo.MrI%40netcom.com suggests that readers should just assume files which return ESTALE have been deleted. That means dcc_close should ignore ESTALE. No idea about the dcc_mon_read_state problem, though. - Dan