[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I pursued the DISTCC_DIR angle first.
I think by default this environment variable is set to your $HOME/.distcc directory which in our setup is NFS mounted on a Netapps box. While I have only run the test ONCE, setting the DISTCC_DIR=/tmp/ahasty/.distcc resulted in a clean run. I will try this several more times, to see if it really cleans up the problem. I do have distccmon-text running on each of the machines that the make is run on, just to see what is going on. I'll try this several more times tomorrow and report back the problems.

Ah, so to clarify: you're running a build on each of several machines? So there are N different machines sharing the same home directory, all running distcc-based builds? And so setting DISTCC_DIR for each of these machines to /tmp/$USER/.distcc prevents more than one build from sharing the same .distcc directory?

Maybe the problem is that files in ~/.distcc are named
by pid, and you ran into a situation where two of
the build machines happened to use the same pid for
distcc runs overlapping in time?
- Dan
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/