Martin Eisenhardt wrote:
will the two pathces for the randomization of distcc's host list and the
setting of a connection timeout be merged into the main trunk of distcc?
If so, when will that happen?

I'm all for the randomization patch being merged :-) but which timeout patch are you referring to? I see two: http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2002q4/000376.html, which uses 'alarm', and http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2003q2/001097.html, which uses 'select'.

The reason for my "merge request" is that I want to use distcc in Gentoo
without having to patch the sources. Since I use my university's computer
lab to do some compiling and not all computer's are always available, both
the randomization and the possibility to set a short timeout value would
greatly enhance distcc's usability.

Sound reasonable to me. How many hosts are in your cluster? And are they all roughly the same performance?

MfG

Dan
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/