On 11/27/05, Laurent Calburtin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm very interested about combining ccache and distcc. I think that would make a huge performance improvement in our situation where many developers are compiling each day roughly the same set of files.

But installing ccache on each distccd host means as many separate caches.
Since filling a cache has a price (compiling!), I would prefer filling as few caches as possible with the same content. I know that some are using a file server to share the cache but that means network communications and we may avoid that.

ccache *does* avoid network communications this way, however: on the client, it simply sends a file open request (which is much smaller than the pre-processed output) to the file server, and gets back a file-opened or file-not-found result.  The only really additional network overhead is uploading to the cache by the machines compiling, which isn't a big deal.

If your network is 100MB, and you've got a reasonable performance switch and high performance file server, network overhead on using a network cache this way isn't particularly noticeable compared the gains in speed by grabbing files from the cache that were compiled by other people.

As for server selection schemes, I suspect it will be worthwhile to ensure that your load balancing avoids race conditions - it seems likely that the server with the highest score at any given moment might find itself swamped by several eager clients, especially as you get more programmers and continuous integration/build-bot processes.

__
distcc mailing list            http://distcc.samba.org/
To unsubscribe or change options: