Martin v. Löwis wrote:
1. What is the plan for PyPI when Python 3.0 comes out and
    dependencies start getting satisfied from distribution
    across the great divide, e.g. a 3.0-specific package
    pulls from PyPI a 2.x-specific package to meet some
    need?  Are there plans to fork PyPI, apply special
    tags to uploads or what?

I don't see the need to for PyPI. For packages (or "distributions",
to avoid confusion with Python packages), I see two options:

a) provide a single release that supports both 2.x and 3.x.
    The precise strategy to do so might vary. If one is going
    for a single source version, have setup.py run 2to3
    (or perhaps 3to2). For dual-source packages, have setup.py
    just install the one for the right version; setup.py itself
    needs to be written so it runs on both versions (which is
    easy to do).
b) switch to Python 3 at some point (i.e. burn your bridges).

You seem to be implying that some projects may release separate
source distributions. I cannot imagine why somebody would want
to do that.

While not quite to the same scale as the 2 to 3 transition, this problem seems like one that would generally already exist. If one writes code that uses newer 2.4/2.5 features (say decorators for example,) it won't build/run on 2.3 or earlier installs. How have people been handling that sort of situation? Is it only by not using the newer features or is there some situation I'm just not seeing in a brief review of a few projects pages on PyPI where there is only one source tarball?

-- Dave