Josselin Mouette wrote:
This information is not accessible directly at import time.

Two questions as answers:

- why does it need to be?

- why not?

If you want
to rely on it to check the API compatibility, you’ll end up doing the
horrible things pygtk and gst-python did. And believe me, that will not
be helpful.

It's unfortunately not a black'n'white thing...

...but if you require a particular API, just define the appropriate dependency in setup.py. What's the problem with that?

Indeed, but if we change the package name without changing the file
name, we have to make both packages conflict with each other.

Why?

This works
for distribution packages,

What do you mean by "distribution package"?

but it doesn’t help for third-party addons,

Why not?

and it can make things complicated if two packages need different APIs.

If two packages need two different versions of a third package, then your project is in trouble, api differences or not...

I showed already two examples: versioned provides and exact
dependencies.

I don't know what either of these terms means I'm afraid :-S

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk