2008/10/7 Phillip J. Eby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> This is a really frustrating aspect of setuptools, that pure-Python
>> packages produce version-specific installers.
>
> Actually, that's not setuptools' fault in this case; I specifically make the
> .exe's version-specific because they have different contents.  Different
> versions of Python include different distutils commands, and setuptools
> needs to install different things.  So even though it's "pure" Python (ha!)
> it is still Python-version specific.

Not sure I follow this. I see this in bdist_wininst installers, so
distutils commands shouldn't be relevant (?)

But I'll freely admit I'm naive over this stuff, so if I need to be
enlightened, please do so!

> Eggs contain bytecode, and bytecode is Python version-specific.

bdist_wininst recompiles bytecode at install-time, so that's not
relevant for me. I can see it would be for eggs, but I'm talking about
installers, here.

Hmm, I just went looking for a specific example, and I see that the
one I thought I remembered, Genshi, includes some C code I'd missed.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what I thought I'd seen. But I do wish
people would continue to distribute bdist_wininst installers for pure
python packages, rather than just version-specific .egg files.

Never mind. We've done this discussion to death in the past. Let's
just say that the move from bdist_wininst to eggs in some areas, is
making an early switch to Python 2.6 harder for me on Windows than the
equivalent switch to 2.5 was...

Paul.