On 2009-01-30 17:08, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
Hi Dave

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 06:48:06PM -0600, Dave Peterson wrote:
I am trying to build a number of projects that use Python extensions on
Solaris 10 and I've discovered that nothing with extensions will link
unless I explicitly pass in a '-L/path/to/python/lib/dir' because
libpython2.5.so is not otherwise found when the '-lpython2.5' argument
is specified during linking.
[...]
If that all seems correct, then it appears the issue is the
finalize_options() source in lib/distutils/commands/build_ext.py.  There
are a number of "if" blocks that explicitly append the value of
distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars('LIBDIR') to the list of
library_dirs used to link built extensions with.  However, there doesn't
seem to be one of these for Solaris / sunos.

Could you point to one of the projects you're having trouble with?  I
haven't had any such problems with Python 2.5 on Solaris 10, distutils
always finds the right things when I'm building extension modules.

It's not specific to any one project. Mostly, it seems to be tied to using a custom --prefix where $prefix/lib is not on the default library search path. Are you using such a custom --prefix?

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco