On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Dave Peterson wrote:

I noticed you removed the Python 2.5 version specification. I wasn't aware there were no further planned maintenance releases for the 2.5 branch. A few of the libs we use still seem to have problems building on 2.6. Guess it is just a matter of time.

I maintain a few libraries with compiled C code. I don't know how to build binaries for Python 2.6, because apparently the method that I've been using until now to build binary extension modules (mingw) isn't able to produce 2.6-compatible extension modules yet.

For now, I'm just not distributing binaries for Python 2.6 (nor, of course, doing a proper job of testing with Python 2.6). I've been kind of hoping that either mingw would catch up or that all my users would give up on Python >= 2.6 and go back to using Python 2.5, but perhaps I should start making new plans...

Meanwhile I'm watching with interest this ticket: http:// bugs.python.org/issue3871

Maybe in the future I can just offer my users a Python executable which is compatible with the Free Software tools that I know and use, instead of figuring out how to make modules which are compatible with the proprietary compiler used to build the official Python 2.6!

Regards,

Zooko

P.S. Whoops, sorry. This message was total flame-bait and off-topic to boot. But it has been bugging me, and I feel better for having gotten it off my chest.