Hi David,

I am learning a lot from this list....

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:31:18 +0900, David Cournapeau
<da...@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> >>     >     prefix = sys.prefix
>>     >     libdir = sys.prefix/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pkgname
>>     >     datadir = sys.prefix/share/mypackage
>>     >     docdir = sys.prefix/share/doc/mypackage
..
> I never said it was self-evident. And about the part of determining what
> the right place is: the whole point is that you, as a developer, won't
> have to care :)

As a python developer... I think you do.... :-)

First thing you want to go looking for is the documentation.

omg - that can be impossible to find for most packages.

Lucky I was trained in the school of 'if you don't understand
the program - go debug the code'....

Sorry to say this, but I didn't know packages even included
documentation. It is d&*med difficult to find in linux.

> I think this does not have to be as complicated. We already need to tag
> some files in the setup.py file, so we could do:
>
> from distutils.core import setup, Extension
>
> setup(name='example',
>         version='1.0',
>         description='Example',
>         author='You',
>         author_email='m...@python.net',
>         packages=['example', 'example.foo'],
>         ext_modules=[Extension('example.foo._bar',
> ['example/foo/bar.c'])],
>         pdfdoc=['doc/doc.pdf'],
>         htmldoc=['doc/html'],
>         pacakge_data=['example/data/data1.dat', 'example/data/data2.dat']
>         )
>
> Note that except pdfdoc and htmldoc, all this is already there in
> distutils. Then, you could do
>
> python setup.py install --prefix=tmp
>
> ending up in (on Linux):
>
> tmp/lib/python-$PYVER/site-packages/example/__init__.py
> tmp/lib/python-$PYVER/site-packages/example/foo/bar/_bar.so
> tmp/lib/python-$PYVER/site-packages/example/data/data1.dat
> tmp/lib/python-$PYVER/site-packages/example/doc/doc.pdf

Very interesting...

Regards

David