At 04:50 AM 2/22/2009 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:30 AM, P.J. Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 2/21/2009 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Hi Phillip,
>>
>> Some changes in distutils/sdist are breaking some commands in
>> setuptools' egg_info because of a getattr that make a recursive error,
>>
>> I think it could be a great thing to fix it as soon as possible before
>> Python 2.6.1 is out,

Typo : before the first version of 2.7 is out

Notice that standalone releases of Distutils are planned soon, including a
development snapshots, so it should be easier to test the latest changes.

>> I am available if you need more info on this
>
> At a bare minimum, the Python SVN revision numbers and the resulting
> traceback would be helpful.  A bug filed to the setuptools tracker would
> probably also be a good idea, so that I'm not the only person who can look
> at it or provide a fix...  either for setuptools or the stdlib, as
> appropriate.

Sure,

it happens because setuptools build_py implementation has a __getattr__ that
computes data_file::

  def __getattr__(self,attr):
        if attr=='data_files':  # lazily compute data files
            self.data_files = files = self._get_data_files(); return files
        return _build_py.__getattr__(self,attr)

But Distutils sdist command loops over build_py.data_files to add them
in the MANIFEST file,
because this attribute should be computed by finalize_command.

And this is done when sdist.add_default is called, so it loops
recursively and dies

see "for pkg, src_dir, build_dir, filenames in build_py.data_files: in"

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/distutils/command/sdist.py?r1=68951&r2=69692

I'm not sure this problem is fixable on the setuptools side -- the calculation was made lazy specifically to *avoid* this problem! That is, I intentionally prevented Python 2.4+ distutils from calculating the data files during option finalization, because the data files can't be correctly known until *after* the manifest is built.

I have no idea what to do about this -- on either setuptools or distutils. For setuptools, file list calculation is inherently circular - an existing manifest is always reused and pruned, in order to support situations where a revctrl-based file list is then used in a scenario without revision control. (That is, the MANIFEST included with a shipped sdist is used as a backup for identifying files that might originally have been found via a revctrl finder.)