At 09:16 AM 2/25/2009 +0100, Joachim König wrote:
Tarek Ziadé wrote:
ok so far, from the whole dicussion it seems that everyone agrees that
the Python version is superfluous
in the .egg-info files, so I'll update the PEP for this point.

I'll also start to write more details about uninstallation

As P.J.Eby pointed out the importance of PEP 262,

I pointed out the importance its *requirements* and *criteria* -- not its implementation. There's a big difference.

 could all the egg-info directories be also
put into a subdirectory called "install-db" as described in that PEP. As proposed by P.J.Eby in PEP262 under "open issues", there could/should be one of these for each directory
where packages are installed.

So to repeat the initial example for zlib, it should look like this:

zlib/
install_db/
    zlib-2.5.2.egg-info/
       PKG-INFO
       MANIFEST
       RECORD

The name of the "install_db" directory would not be that important, e.g. it could e.g. be called "egg-info" and the ".egg-info" extension from the zlib egg-info directory name could be stripped, making the parsing of the listdir() call
even faster 8-)

I'm -1 on this, as it breaks backward compatibility with setuptools.